Most of us are aware of the benefits of leading an active lifestyle. But how does one achieve it without having to make some drastic changes that would be hard to keep up over a longer period of time?
Here are 10 easy-to-incorporate tips that can help you enjoy a more active lifestyle:
- Leave your car at home. Instead, walk to your destination whenever possible. If you don’t want to walk or it’s too far to walk, ride a bike.
- Get off the bus one stop early and walk the remainder of the way. Doing that every day will add up to a few extra miles every week.
- Park your car at the far end of the parking lot. You will not only get some exercise walking to the store, but you will also find a parking place with ease!
- Avoid escalators and elevators. Take the stairs instead. If you need to take an elevator up to the 20th floor, you might want to take a few flights of stairs first and then ride the reminder of the way. Gradually, as you improve your stamina, you can start decreasing the number of floors you ride.
- Learn to dance. Whether it is tango, tap or break dancing, sign up for classes. In this way you can combine exercise with having fun and learning a useful skill.
- Exercise while watching TV. If you absolutely can’t give up your TV time, why not do something more active while you’re watching your favorite series? Do some sit ups, push-ups or ball exercises, for example.
- Invite your friends for a hike or a game of volleyball instead of meeting at a restaurant. Spending time outdoors with friends and having fun at the same time is an easy way of making your life more active.
- Learn how to swim. If you don’t know how to swim, sign up for the classes at a community pool. If you already know how to swim, why not go swimming a few times a week? Few things are as relaxing as swimming after a long, hard day.
- Walk while on the phone. Make it a habit to pace while you’re on the phone whenever possible, especially when you need to make a lot of phone calls or talk for a long time.
- Take your kids to the park and play with them. This will give you a great opportunity to spend some time together with your kids and have fun playing games you used to play with your friends when you were their age.
Author’s own experience 1bandar